Is your skin microbiome healthy? In this article, find out how to maintain a balanced skin microbiome with 5 potent natural ingredients.
What’s a skin microbiome?
A microbiome is basically a collection of microorganisms in a particular area. You may already know about the gut microbiome as taking probiotic supplements has become a growing trend now that more people understand how the gut microbiome needs good bacteria to maintain optimal health. Similarly, the skin microbiome is there to maintain harmony between the harmful microbes and healthy bacteria that are living on your skin.
Everyone has a different skin microbiome, depending on factors like your gender, age, and environment. Whether you’re a teenager dealing with the hormonal changes of puberty or a woman reaching the life-altering phases of menopause, it’s absolutely essential to maintain a healthy skin routine that nourishes your skin microbiome.
What happens when your skin microbiome is out of balance?
Premature aging, severe acne, skin damage, chronic inflammation, and difficulty healing are all direct side effects of an unbalanced skin microbiome.
Skin microbiome and aging
As we age, our skin microbiome starts to become less balanced. This means that as we mature, our skin needs to be introduced to more ingredients that help promote the growth of new healthy microbes.
Skin microbiome and acne
At this moment, there are thousands of microbes on your skin that are fighting against pathogens you’re exposed to on a daily basis. But when there’s a lack of good bacteria, your skin becomes weaker against environmental threats that could end up causing visible effects like acne. Creating a skin care routine involving probiotics will help cultivate the good bacteria and maintain a healthy skin microbiome.
Skin microbiome & skin healing
When the skin microbiome is unbalanced, your skin’s ability to create new collagen and produce new cells is diminished. This makes the healing process much slower. It’s also common for the skin to be very sensitive, red, easily irritated, and difficult to keep hydrated.
How to keep your skin microbiome healthy
A potent serum may be the missing piece to maintaining a healthy pH and microbiome. It may just be the easiest way to promote youthful skin and fight against the everyday toxins that our skin comes in contact with from pollution, UV rays, and stress.
There’s a deep connection between your skin microbiome and your overall complexion. That’s why we created the Essential Skin Defense™Complex which is the core of each of our skin-nourishing serums.
Ampersand’s Essential Skin Defense Complex is formulated to flourish the health of your microbiome with 5 key ingredients:
- Cloudberry: This Nordic berry is a rare superfood that packs a host of benefits for the skin microbiome. Cloudberries contain essential fatty acids that provide long-lasting hydration. They are also rich in ellagic acid, which promotes collagen production and tightens fine lines and wrinkles. On top of that, it’s laden with omega 3 and 6 that promote a glowing, youthful complexion while its high concentration of vitamin E heals and deeply nourishes the skin.
- Fermented rice: When rice water is left to ferment, it becomes a veritable anti-aging elixir. This fermented goodness adds microbiome-loving probiotics and is rich in important minerals, antioxidants, vitamins B and E, and even traces of ultra-nourishing pitera. These minerals and antioxidants help to purify and smooth the skin, working to minimize fine lines and decrease the appearance of pores. Fermented rice also helps maintain your skin’s pH. When your skin pH is left unbalanced, your complexion can become irritated, red, and blotchy.
- Resveratrol: Resveratrol is a type of polyphenol that’s found in botanical sources like red grapes, peanuts and berries. Applied topically, resveratrol is a powerful antioxidant that works to protect your skin microbiome, fights environmental toxins, and brightens a dull complexion. It also has significant anti-inflammatory properties that calm puffiness and soothe irritated, red skin.
- Black tea ferment: Another probiotic source that also includes many essential acids and vitamins that replenish unbalanced skin. Fermented black tea is one of the most effective ingredients to keep skin youthful with its richness in complexion-enhancing antioxidants like vitamins B1, B2, B3, B6, B12 and C. It’s also rich in gluconic acid, lactic acid, and folic acid that bind to toxins and expel them from the skin while shielding the skin microbiome from damage.
- Seaweed: You may already know about the impressive benefits of seaweed. Each strand is packed with all your skin’s favorite vitamins and minerals, and works like a charm when it comes to soothing, softening, and reducing sensitivity. Thanks to seaweed’s similar cell structure to our own skin cells, it has unique protecting properties that maintain your skin microbiome’s natural balance.
So there you have it. These 5 powerful ingredients are the base of each Ampersand serum. With each bottle, you can benefit from a unique blend of enzymes, peptides, brightening botanicals, collagen boosters and probiotics. Each ingredient in our formula was carefully chosen as they’ve each proven to keep the skin microbiome intact and act as a much-needed protective barrier while delivering ingredients.
Shop the collection here.